4th of July 2018 Success!
Once again the Historic Highlands annual July 4th event was a big success so we’re doing it again! Over 350 to 400 neighbors showed up to celebrate the occasion. We had Lady Liberty, Spider man, and dozens of festive red, white and blue bicycles, skateboards, dogs, wagons and strollers join in the July 4th parade. There was plenty of food for everyone at the potluck. This was also the biggest offering of raffle items from our local merchants and neighbors.
The kids enjoyed the hay rides, along with the water melon eating contest, and the arts and crafts table. A big thank you to the Pasadena Fire Department (station 33) for bringing the fire truck. Even better was the 500 gallons of water they sprayed on everyone from the fire hose!
This is the type of event which helps to bring neighbors together and creates a strong sense of local community and makes our neighborhood special. This event could not have taken place without the help of dozens of volunteers from the neighborhood. Everyone’s help is much appreciated. I would like to recognize some of the leads of the various committees which helped to make this a great event.
A BIG SHOUTOUT goes to:
- Andy Splichal for coordinating the overall July 4th event and volunteers; along with overseeing the parade, judging events, MC’ing event, decorating, purchasing food and supplies.
- Bill Loesch for coordinating setup and tear down of the event. Also, for the John Deer tractor hayrides through the neighborhood for the kids.
- Kay Bowen for leading us all in the singing of the National Anthem.
- Jeffrey Thurnher for coordinating music, decorations, lemonade, etc., etc., etc.
- Heidi Rous for overseeing and coordinating the potluck table and hotdogs.
- Katie Rice for coordinating games and crafts.
- Your Historic Highlands Board members (Clint Palmer, Jama Meyer, Kathleen Woods, Sheila Spiro, Jeffrey Thurner, Anne Leach, Adriana Tiner, Marc Ruesser, Robert Bullock and David Anderson)
And last, but certainly not least, a very BIG THANK YOU to our local businesses and neighbors who donated to the Raffle:
- Margaret McAustin – District 2 Council Member
- John & Jo Wee (owners of Daisy Mint located at 1218 E. Colorado Blvd., Abricott located at 238 S. Lake Ave. and Fig Sprout located at 63 S. Raymond Ave. restaurants)
- Geoff & Julia Elliott – (“A Noise Within Theatre” located at 3352 E. Foothill Blvd.
- Dave & Naomi Berry (owners of La Canada Pool and Patio) located at 514 Foothill Blvd, La Canada
- Jack’s Cleaners (located at 2465 E. Washington Blvd.)
- Lark’s Cake shop (located at 1355 N. Hill Ave.)
- Rocco’s Tavern (located at 44 W. Green St.)
- Pinnochio’s Pizz( located at 1449 N. Lake Ave)
- Domino’s pizza (located at 1400 E. Washington Blvd.)
- Tony Lazzeri (owner of California Master Printers located at 796 N. Todd Ave., Azusa)
- Old Oak Cellars (located at 2620 E. Foothill Blvd.)
- Animal Medical Hospital (located at 2116 E. Colorado Blvd.)
- Sidecca (located at 1389 E. Washington Blvd.)
- Succulent arrangement (compliments of Nancy Delgado, owner of Gifts from My Garden)
- Golf balls (compliments of Diane Grohulski, with Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith)
- Mary Falkingham Floral Designs (located at 871 E. Mariposa St.)
- Belinda Jacobs who donated a personal handmade quilt.
- Robert Bullock & David Anderson donation of a Home Depot gift card.
- Susan Goldman Photography – Family Portrait
- Eddie and Daisy Rivas – set of sporting hats
- Two bottles of wine (compliments of Suzanne York and Family)
- Blender (compliments of Mickey & Bea Fruchter)
- Golf balls (compliments of Jorge Lambrinos)